LEICESTER MERCURY INTERNET SERVICES Leicester
Jul 1996 – Oct 1997
- The first brief for this new position was to get the Leicester Mercury Newspaper on-line on to the Internet.
- The role developed into finding potential clients, through regular traditional advertisers, develop successful presentations, liaising with the businesses and producing an Internet solution for them.
- Newspaper was online with five main stories and five sport stories in 2 months. You could read stories from the Leicester Mercury online in Australia before you could read it in Leicester on paper.
- Developed concept in the form of Gateway To Leicestershire, which became a one-stop shop for anyone with an interest in Leicester, i.e. business, pleasure, news, sport etc. Clients were golden handcuffed to advertising deals with Internet sites as an incentive.
- Got together the ‘BIG EIGHT’ regional newspaper owners for the first time in history all to agree in placing its classified adverts (Cars, Houses and Jobs) in database housed at ICL.
- The web-front end on to the database was entitled Adhunter which went on to become the initiative to drive the fish4 websites.
- The Gateway to Leicestershire initiative went on to spawn the thisislondon.co.uk (Evening Standard), thisisgloucestershire.co.uk (Gloucestershire Echo), thisisnottingham.co.uk (Notts Evening Post) series of websites
- Manager of a team of eight, including programmers, designers, a sales team and technical support, who all worked in a dynamic environment often involved in multiple projects of varying priority concurrently.
- Gained an in-depth technical knowledge of Internet/Intranet related security issues i.e. firewalls, network security, Data Protection Act, hacker attacks, virus checkers etc.
- Sites developed, produced and marketed in this role included Leicester Mercury, Official Leicester City Football Club Web Site, Frank Innes Black Horse Agencies, Warner Bros. (Leicester), Holiday Inn (Leicester) and many more